Saturday 25 June 2016

Cleaning your secateurs

If you have read my previous post about Felco secateurs you will know that I believe in using quality tools to get the best results. It is not just about buying quality, you will need to use them carefully and not abuse them as well as maintain them in tip top condition. 

Cleaning, lubricating and sharpening are tasks that need to be carried out regularly and this need not be time-consuming or onerous. Once in a while I will strip down my secateurs and give them a thorough cleaning and regreasing. 

After each use, I will give them a clean and a quick sharpen. Keeping secateurs sharp rather waiting for them to become blunt is always the best policy.

Firstly hold the secateurs in your non-dominant hand (in my case, my left) as shown in the photograph below. 



I then clean the blades using a rubber block impregnated with Silicon carbide. I use Garryflex blocks but there are several other brands available.  I use both coarse and extra coarse grades. 



The above photograph shows an extra coarse Garryflex block alongside one of my trusty Felcos. Cleaning the blades is not just about making them look nice, it also removes residues of plant sap them will soon become resinous and will impair their cutting performance. A good (and knowledgeable) friend soaks his secateurs in tomato ketchup for two or three days but I find my method more convenient and less messy!


No comments:

Post a Comment