Tuesday 14 June 2016

Why I love Felco

I have used Felco secateurs for decades and it is not because I think the Swiss economy could do with a boost, it is because they are a delight to use and maintain and spare parts are easily available at a reasonable price. My secateur collection is shown below and they are all the real McCoy-there are none of those impostor brands amongst them. You can buy cheaper secateurs but in my experience, they last nowhere near as long and do not keep their edge very long after sharpening.

Ease of use and sharpening saves time and in my case, money. The ergonomic design also reduces the risk of repetitive strain injuries which I have suffered by using poor secateurs. Yes they are more costly than most brands but there are some bargains to be had, my last two pairs were bought on Amazon for the same price as an inferior brand.

Go to any major garden such as Wisley and you will usually find the gardeners using Felcos, that speaks for itself.

Good tools deserve maintenance, I sharpen mine after use, the key is not to allow them to become blunt and then sharpen them, it is to keep them continually sharp. I always lubricate the moving parts including the spring after every use and never store them in a damp place. If Felco are a bit much for your budget, Bahco do some pretty good models.

Two of these Felcos are about twenty years old, they still cut well and have plenty of life left in them. They are worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment